Jul 1, 2018

"Temporary Disruption"

When I grew up it happened all the time. The TV broadcast was temporary disrupted. Suddenly the TV just dying and there was that sign you weren’t to fond of. Temporary Disruption. And you just sat there. Because the broadcast could come on in a minute or it could take forever. And since the only TV broadcast back then was the Swedish National Television, at first only one and later two channels, there was no other entertainment to turn to. Radio? Uhh…

Anyway, I can’t even remember when I last saw that sign. It must have been ages ago. Until the other day during the 6 a’clock News.

There was some technical problems. Stories wouldn’t start, name signs didn’t show, something in the picture quality was odd, the news anchor apologised over and over again, and suddenly the broadcast died. Just like that. Temporary Disruption.

I looked at the sign. And felt like I was 10 again. Just watched. And waited. It must come on any second. Any minute. But it didn’t. A blue screen. No sound. Temporary Disruption.

The news was broadcasted at SVT1 (Swedish Television channel 1). After a while I switched over to SVT 2, and to my relief everything seemed normal over there. Back at SVT 1 there was finally a voice announcing the news room having technical problems and the news cast actually was cancelled.

So what was so disturbing? Why was I uncomfortable? Well, when it was clear SVT 2 was okay I felt a bit better. At least the entire Swedish National Television (which is the Swedish Public Service Television) wasn’t down. Which should give you a lead to my reaction.

A public service news show suddenly just dies. And is dead for minutes before a voice is even announcing why. And it doesn’t come on again.

In this time and age I reacted with fear. Was the show hacked? Had someone who shouldn’t be there cut the wires? Was the news room hijacked?

It makes me sad and scared that I reacted with fear. I’m looking out through my balcony door to the west. The forest, the fields, the greenery in the evening light. To the north the sun preparing for setting, 20 minutes earlier than a week ago - yes, that’s how quickly the light is backing off! The blackbird is still singing it’s evening song though. It’s quite and peaceful here at the end of the road. Yet, a disrupted public service news show can be a a reasonable reason for red alert in 2018. That’s sad and scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment