Jul 8, 2018

"L'arte di non fare niente “

A week into July it’s vacation time in Sweden. Swedes have 5-7 weeks of vacation a year, depending on work place/employer and age. Due to our seasons most people take the big chunk of their vacation in the summer, and July is the favourite month.

I have decided to treat July as my vacation month as well. Basically that means to not worry about job or assignments and to not chase crafts people. The latter is actually not a problem since they are all on vacation. So as long as things don’t break in my house  (knock on wood!) I should be fine when it comes to that.

The last two years I made lists for my vacation. How I wanted to spend them. Simple things doable in spite of my physical restrictions. Like sit in the sun. Listen to music. Listen to Public Radio. Wear nice clothes. Drink my special liquorice blend of Arnold Palmer. Yes, reminders as inspiration for a beautiful life on a small scale by myself.

There have also been points for socials. Invite so and so. Even a couple of party-like gatherings. And the list for “in case of rain” where the main point for years (and in any season) has been “cleaning out my closets”. Literally. Since 2017 was an extremely crappy summer weather wise that actually happened last July, hurray!

So, the vacation list has been both enjoy- and goal oriented. To be honest, goal orientation comes very easy to me. Too easy. Enjoy orientation, not so much…

This year though, starting last summer, the choice of enjoyment or goal hasn’t really been on the agenda. Life has put the agenda for me, mostly containing taking care of my health and my place. No catastrophes, for which I am intensely grateful, but a constant shovelling of acute body and house happenings.

So, although I know health issues (besides my dear old back) will not take vacation although it’s summer and there is actually some renovation going on here at the end of the road, I will still really try to enjoy July as leisure time. 

Did you here that? Leisure. It will be a challenge to me, but that’s what I need. 

Yesterday I picked my most beautiful summer clothes from my wardrobe and hang them on the closet doors. I will dress up for the sun and the flowers in my garden and for myself. I will be walking on the green run way of summer light. Feeling like I am dancing although it’s only in my mind. I will be sitting in my sun chair every minute possible. I will be randomly listening to public radio and get to learn things I wasn’t aiming for. I will be watching my cherry trees grow and the summer plants blossom. And I will not make a list for summer achievements to check.

Italians have an expression for what I want to experience this summer. "L'arte di non fare niente “. The art of doing nothing. This far that art is not on my CV.  I want to add that. I need to add that. Wait, did I just make that a goal…?

No comments:

Post a Comment