Aug 5, 2018

"The Heat is Gone"

I had to put my jeans on today. And I don’t like it a bit.

Last night I shut my windows and doors when it was time for bed. I had kept them open all evening even though my feet were cold and I had to put a light sweater on. The idea of closing my house is so repulsive to me. I fight it hard.

The hottest heat wave in the Swedish history lasted for four weeks here on the 64th latitude. Since beginning of July I’ve had the need for cross draft through the house during evenings and over night. Hard though to remember to keep everything closed during day, such a backwards way for a northern Swede. 

I have loved it! It’s such a feeling of freedom and liberation! I talked to Daniel who works here about it the other day. He is from Rumania where the summers are hot. What do you mean, he said?

I tried to explain. It’s very simple really. In the northern Swedish climate what’s most important is keeping the house warm. Shut the door, don’t let the heat out! That’s a phrase so frequently used it’s in our DNA. 9 months out of 12. Sometimes more. Our houses are like fortresses you have to defend from the cold. Defend it with swords and excellent heating systems. With your life.

To be allowed to open a window without severe consequences is like taking a deep and life-giving breath. And then to open many! Normally cross draft is something you really dread…

Not this summer though! To open the front door, balcony door and most every window is like there are no enemies to protect the fort from! And then to keep them open! To remove the barriers between inside and outside! To experience the free flow of air through the rooms and through my being. Freedom! Liberation!

Daniel was smiling at me. I get it, he said.

I felt sad shutting my house last night. Although the last two weeks with severe humidity have been tough even on me, I have such resistance closing the house. The forecast for August promises normal summer weather for this latitude, around 20°C/68°F, a mix of sun overcast and chances for showers. Healthy! For humans as well as nature.

So. This morning I had to pull my jeans out from in the back of the closet where they’ve been relegated for very many weeks. And I took a top with long sleeves on. Socks on my feet. Finding myself humming on a travesty version of The Heat is On. I feel like landing here after spending some month in Summer Seattle. It will take some time to adjust.

Oh, and there it was, the first shower, and the temperature dropped to 12°C/54°F... Brrr...

No comments:

Post a Comment