Jun 3, 2018

Dazzled by the north sun

Unfortunately I didn't note the date. When the sun starts hitting my eyes here on my couch in the evening.

I have a window facing north in my upstairs great room. During a brief period of the year the sun reaches that window. I know it sounds crazy but on the 64th latitude the sunshine actually can come from the north.

Right now it’s 8.46 PM. And in the same moment the sun stretched into my north window on it’s way to setting for the night. It’s really bright and can be a bit annoying. Sometimes I have to put my hand up to shade my eyes from it. But in the same time I love it and enjoy it immensely.

So, I didn’t note that day the sun first appeared, it might be three weeks ago or so. And for every evening it’s been reaching a bit further into my window before it tucks itself down behind the forest. I am looking at it. And at my watch. A couple of minutes more every day.

As much as I love those minutes they also make me panic as I know its peak to the north will be in three more weeks and then it starts falling back.

We have had an extraordinary May in Sweden this year! The warmest May since the measuring on a scientific scale covering the whole country started in 1859. And every day since May 5 has been sunny with mostly clear blue skies! 

That’s why I have been able following my north window sun minute by minute. Normally I see the sun once in a while during the brief north window period. Often the sky is cloudy. And suddenly that time is over and I grieve how little the weather circumstances allowed me to enjoy it. 

Starting tomorrow the stable high pressure we have been blessed with will be pushed back. The temperatures will drop and clouds will step in and take up more of the meteorological scene. A more normal northern Swedish summer weather pattern will be in charge.

Today the time for sunset on the 64th latitude is 10.41 PM. Last night the sun dropped behind my forest at 9.32 PM. I am now waiting for the minute check for today. There it was: 9.34 PM!

I really wish there will be more clear evenings for me to follow the sun on it’s way moving north before it starts hiding back towards the west…

Do you want to know when the sun rises tomorrow morning? 2.33 AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment