Dec 14, 2014

A year as Capital of Culture - from the corner of my eye.

A thin white layer is covering the ground, finally lightning up this very dark fall. Temperatures have mostly been around freezing point or warmer making it impossible for winter to make it’s entrance. I am not complaining. The later it’s arriving, the shorter winter. Works fine for me. Although even I love a white Christmas so I hope it stays now.
And I am sure it made last night even more festive. Wrapping up this very special year. 
Umeå, the European Capital of Culture 2014. We have lived with that epithet for a very long time now. First through the protracted application process, then winning the title and years of preparing. And so, finally, realizing it. In retrospect I would say it’s amazing how a small city like Umeå could pull this off. It is quite an accomplishment.
Umeå is, by nature and tradition a city of culture. There is so much going on here in every art form there is no way you can take part of everything even a regular year. But Umeå 2014 has been crazy. From the inauguration on the frozen Umeå River late January until the closing bash last night at Rådhustorget (the City Hall Square) in downtown Umeå.
There have been numerous WOWs and of course a lot of skepticism and criticism among the inhabitants of Umeå regarding the year that just passed. I think though, and hope, that we, as a city, have gained self confidence and self esteem lasting for a long time.
As for myself, I have followed Umeå being the Capital of Culture through media, Facebook and friends. Missing the inauguration on the river was a big disappointment to me, although everyone telling me how cold it was, how crowded and how they hardly saw or heard anything, I must admit was comforting. A couple of weeks ago I thought it would be possible for me to attend the closing ceremony instead, but I turned acute last week, so that was out of the question.
Being physically challenged for many years now, I have adapted to not being a part of the cultural life in Umeå the way I would wish. I feel like I am watching it from the corner of my eye. I know it’s out there but I am in here. And that’s how it is. Therefore I am so grateful for the two things I had sat my eyes on and actually could be a part of.
The amazing outdoor opera Elektra from Richard Strauss performed by Norrlandsoperan (the Umeå opera house) was a show and an experience so overwhelming it took focus from my pain for a couple of hours. Thanks to my friend Agneta and a garden chair in which I could half lie half sit, I got to be a part of a collective Umeå memory that will last for at least two generations
And then there was the choir festival. The idea which I had been carrying since the late eighties, this summer realized by Kammarkören Sångkraft (the Sångkraft Chamber Choir. A Choral Midsummer Light’s Dream - Umeå International Choir Festival, taking place during the Midsummer week, was a huge success even though the rain was poring down and the nights were at freezing point.
There was no way for me, of course, to be a part of the festival the way I had pictured through the years leading up to this. But thanks to extreme will power and many helping hands I could do the assignment I had taken on, to be the MC of the main evening concerts. Together with Agneta and my sister Kia I announced vocal ensembles from nine countries during the White Night Concerts. I don’t think anyone in the audience could tell that one of the ladies in the spot light at the front of the stage, between every set staggered back stage and collapsed on a foldable bed.
Last night Umeå said goodbye to being the European Capital of Culture. From what I can see from the pictures it looks like a grand closure celebration. The former City Hall was lit up in a spectacular light show I would have loved to see. But things are what they are. And I am happy that Umeå the European Capital of Culture on the whole has been a huge success. We have all done a good job. Even I! 

No comments:

Post a Comment