Mar 26, 2013

Woman down / Perspective from in under a little white chest drawer


I woke up with my head under the small white chest of drawers. I was lying on my back on the bathroom floor. It’s a beautiful blue mosaics floor, but dangerously hard. And I had fainted and landed on that shiny surface.

I have a bad cold with a high temperature. And this was Saturday morning. My blood pressure has a tendency of dropping when I for some reason am weakened, very tired or sick. And this morning was one of those mornings. I felt it coming but didn’t make it out of the bathroom. And there I was. My head under mom and dad’s old bedroom drawer. It’ wasn’t painted underneath, I could tell.

It wasn’t just that I was out on the bathroom floor. I was also very sick. And with my back problems I couldn’t get up. I tried. But of course it didn’t work. Fainting is a way of giving in. To the body. And giving up trying to get up was one more giving in. I have fainted before but been able through great struggle get back to bed, but this time not so.

I think it took me half an hour before I pushed the button. Since November when my back went out I have a safety alarm on my arm. I haven’t used it before, haven’t needed. Now I was in great need and it was right there on my arm, yet my resistance was severe. Giving in. Calling for professional strangers to come rescue me.

I spent a good hour on the blue shiny floor. I couldn’t tell how my body was doing. I managed to reach a couple of bath towels to cover me so I wouldn’t get too cold. And I put one under my head. That helped. I think I dozed away for a while before a friendly woman and man put the key in my door and came save me. I was the fifth person down that morning.

I don’t know that my bed has ever felt as good as it did when I was finally back there. And some hour later my home care angel Peter from Civil Care was sitting at my bedside holding my hand. Holding my hand firmly while I was telling him the story. Not just holding my hand. But holding my hand in the way telling me that he was there and I was not alone. He gave me breakfast and the next time he was back he brought me a beautiful Eastern bouquet of yellow roses to put on my bed stand. During the whole weekend he attended to all my needs in a way that makes the word caring feel week, I would say loving. And my gratefulness is beyond words.

The last couple of weeks have been my yearly cancer check up. Thursday I met with my oncologist who told me that everything looked good, breast and skeleton all clear. Normally that response gives me some weeks with an elevated sensation of life, for life. But this time around I was just too damned sick from a lousy cold. And then I landed on the bathroom floor. So I have been more in chock then in joy.

How did my head end up under mom and dad’s white drawer? I don’t know. I must have gone down in a way that’s hard to figure out. But from the pain in my body it seems like I have fallen on my left side before I landed on my back. And considering that there are no soft spots in my bathroom but exclusively sharp corners and hard surfaces it’s a little miracle that I could even stand on my two feet when they got me up. And that my legs moved. Not even my back seemed terribly shaken.

Before the evening though, my neck started feeling tight. Sunday morning I couldn’t lift my head from the pillow. And I got scared. Really really scared. Had I added a whiplash on top of my list of chronic conditions? I felt like when I discovered the tumor in my breast: if I survive this I will never ever complain about anything in my life!

Peter took me to the ER Sunday evening, and the doctor didn’t find any evidence for whiplash. Neither Peter nor I felt a great confidence for that very brief exam though, so I had a second opinion from my chiropractor Michael, who I really trust, yesterday. He checked me thoroughly, looked at me and said: Maria, this is not a whiplash.

“Maria, this is not a whiplash”. To hear those words. Was like hearing “Maria, your breasts and skeleton are all clean”. And my promise to not complain about anything in my life seems (for now) very easy to stay true to.

Today I am able to sit up on my couch without fainting and terrible pain in my neck. The sun is shining through my extremely dirty March windows. And I am able to take in, enjoy, and be so grateful and happy about that I am cancer free and that the pain in my neck is just soar muscles from a fieldtrip from in under my mom and dad’s white chest drawer. Not a whiplash that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

I was lucky. I was so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment