Oct 21, 2012

A prayer for an uneventful day


-       Can you pick me up at the airport at 10?

Of course I can. Trouble 1 is returning from Seattle after his 3 months stay. Waking up Tuesday morning I am so happy with myself, having had the tires switched the day before, because it’s snowing. Yeah, what do you know, here we go again, one more winter coming up. So I’m hitting the slushy road feeling very safe and so on top of things. Almost smug. Just picking up my son, And then doing some work. Planning for an uneventful day,

5 km later I have a flat tire. Yapp. Just like that. That’s how they happen, flat tires. It’s 15 minutes until Trouble 1 is flying in and I am thinking I can’t let him stand there all cold and wet, so I’m going for driving on the rim all the way to the airport. He isn’t there. No Trouble 1. So, did he mean 10 PM by any chance? 

I am crawling my bumpy ride across town to my tire switch place where it of course on the first snowy day is jam packed with people who just HAVE to have THEIR tires switched. The wait is like hours and hours. But since I was there yesterday they do feel sorry for me, manage to squeeze me in and in two hours I have a new tire.

The snow has transformed into rain and heavy winds now, and it’s not a Seattle rain, it rains like in The Killing. So, a fake Seattle rain. I am really tired but running some errands, waiting to hear from Trouble 1, although he might be sitting somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean. Anyhow, stepping out on the parking lot I notice through the rain and the wind scratches on the right front of the car. Great. Just great. And the thing is, this is the fourth time in 1,5 years that happens. A hit and run. The last paintjob was done late August and I was so happy to have a good-looking car again, so this is really frustrating. And more money. I need a discount card at the paint shop.

While this is going on, I am in contact with my plumber. Because back at my house there is a sewer problem. And it’s a big one. I won’t give you the picture of what’s floating around on my bathroom floor, but I can tell you it isn’t pretty. And did I mention my heating system seems to be at its far end?

I don’t really feel like going home to that house, but I am just too exhausted, so I do. Lying on my bed in the rainy dusk I am checking my email. There is the estimate for how much the repairs for my car in Seattle are. Yes, there are a couple of untold stories from my Seattle stay, involving my car there. The only thing I will say here is that it is about a lot of money.

I know. All these worldly problems come with owning things. House and cars. Renting an apartment and taking the bus would solve a lot. When it comes to me, I’m not sure though.

This is not one day in a year. I have a lot of these days. And then, I am sparing you the not so worldly difficulties. I often feel like I am in the middle of a meteor storm. My life is like a short-staffed news station in a big city: I would have no problem what so ever filling the broadcasts but totally exhausted getting them on air. That might be an idea though: pod casting my eventful days!

10 PM. Back at the airport. And Trouble 1 is there. In Sweden after 24 hours on planes. And I too, feel like I have been crossing the Atlantic. The next morning I am sending this prayer to the Universe, the one I am always praying for: please, just give me an uneventful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment